I have two former WIPs this week. Well, 1.9.
Over the weekend I finished the Morgan gloves, up to the point of weaving in the ends and picking out ribbons for them, so they’re the 0.9. They’re really lovely gloves, such an elegant design. The yarn is, of course, Hedgehog Fibres sock yarn. I can’t remember what colourway, but I think it may have been hush. The gloves are worked flat almost up to the fingers, which leads to the fun of purling through the back loop on teeny tiny needles. As I’m a DPN gal most of the time, I ended up knitting back and forth on needles with about four times as many stitches on them as usual. Things got particularly hairy when I had to increase for the thumb! The only spot that really gave me trouble (aside from not reading the chart properly and forgetting to isolate the stitches for the pinky) was knitting the thumb itself. When I do glove fingers, if they say “pick up 3 stitches from the cast on edge”, I’ll usually pick up 5, and then decrease on the next round. This usually limits the holes between fingers. For this thumb, you pick up 6 stitches on the cast on edge, but she also asks you to pick up one stitch each side, and for some reason this completely threw me, for both gloves, and for once I didn’t pick up anything in the gaps. I’m aware that my logic has taken a vacation on that one. On the first glove, I fudged the figures, and on the second I tinked back and did it properly. Either way, I doubt anybody but me will notice.
I love knitting gloves, particularly anything by Laris Designs, but weaving in the ends is the worst part. Once that’s done, I have to drag Himself to the shops to help me pick out a ribbon. He has much better colour sense than I do (which is why I don’t do much colourwork), and hopefully we’ll pick out a silvery ribbon and maybe a navy or dark blue ribbon to finish them off. I think these will be special occasion gloves.
Speaking of himself, my proper finished object for the week are the Cauchy socks for Stephen’s birthday. I finished them last night, over a week early. The yarn is, guess what, Hedgehog fibres, in the really nice colourway Graphite. Luckily this yarn has nylon in it, unlike last year’s. Those socks didn’t even last one year of irregular, careful use. At least now I know where he tends to wear through his socks, so hopefully I can preemptively darn.
I’m itching to start casting new stuff on now, but I need to hold back. Tomorrow is November, and with November comes Nanowrimo. It’s my first time, and I’m probably vastly underestimating how much of my life it’s going to eat up. I may have to make my main character a knitter, just to keep me sane!